Monday, March 11, 2019

WAS 2.0

by Antonio Garza de Yta

First of all, I would like to start this column by welcoming Patricio Augusto Garza Ribera, who has arrived weighing 3,820 kg and measuring 54 cm. Both the mother and he are wonderful and have made us the happiest parents in the world.

As all of you who have been parents know, there is nothing in this world that gives you such a clear perspective of the true priorities in life that seeing your child born. Seldom can you put your whole life on a scale and experience such a lucid moment.
 


Within this journey of introspection, a friend in the industry came to visit me and asked me what I wanted for the World Aquaculture Society (WAS), or what I expected in the event that the membership distinguished me with the honour of being elected as president. What do I expect? Very simple ... evolve.

I know you may have heard this word from my lips on countless occasions, but I think that is what best summarises my goals: Let's go for the WAS 2.0

But what do I mean? The WAS, today, is formed by around 3,000 members of the more than 18 million dedicated to aquaculture worldwide. I do not believe that 0.017 percent is a number that actually represents the sector. Nor is it possible that more than 50 percent of the members are from the United States of America.

It's like having a "World Series" in a league where only two countries play. Does this sound familiar? The WAS cannot continue to revolve around the United States; if it really wants to be global, most of its members must be in Asia. In addition, the board should be better distributed and should look for ways to have greater representation of the areas.


Read more HERE.

The Aquaculturists
This blog is maintained by The Aquaculturists staff and is supported by the
magazine International Aquafeed which is published by
Perendale Publishers Ltd

For additional daily news from aquaculture around the world: aquaculture-news

No comments:

Post a Comment