Monday, July 22, 2019

Let’s start building bridges together!

by Antonio Garza de Yta, Ph.D

Usually, before I start writing a column, I always spend a good amount of time thinking about the subject at hand. I can tell you that for 18 years I have imagined what I could write as a thank you note in the hypothetical case that the dream of becoming president of my beloved World Aquaculture Society (WAS) became true.
 
I believe that, during those 18 years, I imagined the most eloquent phrases and paragraphs that ever came out of my mind. But today, now that one of the most important goals of my professional career has come true, I can only think of one thing to say: Thank you!

This has been an amazing journey, in which the best part is still yet to come, but during these very pleasant moments there are a couple I would like to highlight. Firstly when, as a student, I worked as a project assistant during the shrimp sessions in New Orleans.

I remember watching my academic heroes give their talks and marvelling at how many things I still had to learn. During the different WAS conferences, I met a lot of invaluable friends and colleagues and was able to expand my personal and professional horizons.

As a professional, I participated as a user on both the congress and the exhibit sides and testified how useful the WAS network of professionals really is; undoubtedly the best in the world.

When I was elected president of the Latina American and Caribbean Chapter (LACC), I could team up with magnificent people and create LACQUA, which this year will reach its seventh edition and that is the only event of the society which is not only in English, but multilingual (Spanish, Portuguese and English); which considerably increased the participation of producers and decision makers in the region.


Read more HERE.

The Aquaculturists
This blog is maintained by The Aquaculturists staff and is supported by the
magazine International Aquafeed which is published by
Perendale Publishers Ltd

For additional daily news from aquaculture around the world: aquaculture-news

No comments:

Post a Comment